The Ready, Set, Kindergarten Interns will provide a six session series of preschool programs in designated branches of the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) on specific dates in June and July of 2012. The interns are scheduled to work at least 3 hours on each session of the series: one hour for set-up, one hour for the program, and one hour for clean-up and evaluation.
All interns must also attend a paid training session scheduled for Saturday, June 16, time TBA. All interns must be willing to travel to their assigned branch, and be available to present programs on the following dates: June 23/24, June 30/July 1, July 7/8, July 14/15, July 21/22, and July 28/29 (Interns will be assigned to Saturday or Sunday programs, not both—most of the opportunities are for Saturdays). Applications are solicited ASAP. PLEASE NOTE: Dates are subject to change, and opportunities may be available for a Fall session as well.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Using BPL’s curriculum, plan and conduct storytime programs for children 3-5 years of age and their parents or caregivers.
- Share picture books, songs, rhymes, fingerplays and other activities with families to promote the development of early literacy skills and science and math skills in young children.
- Share tips and information with parents about early literacy skills and how reading with children can promote their development. Share tips on incorporating basic math and science skills into daily life with children, and tips on school readiness.
- Gather information and surveys from participants for an evaluation of this project.
- Set up and clean up program materials.
- Communicate clearly with Ready, Set, Kindergarten coordinator, and consult with assigned mentor on at least three occasions.
- Report any problems to mentor or library staff overseeing the program.
Skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working with young children or knowledge of children’s literature for this age group.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel.
- Enrollment in a graduate library or education program desirable, but not essential.
- Fluency in Spanish, Chinese, Polish, or Russian a plus.
Stipend: $100 per program & $100 to attend the training session.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter (email preferred) to:
First Five Years Grant Programs Coordinator
Brooklyn Public Library
10 Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11238