UNICEF NYHQ requires a Taxonomist / Ontologist to support creation, development and maintenance of a core ontology model for classification and tagging of Web content and media files, as well as search engine optimization for both internal and external search engines. Also may support taxonomy development for internal partner groups.
- Develop/maintain taxonomies and ontology describing the work of UNICEF in digital media.
- Provide project coordination within DOC/IBIS to manage collaboration between Web, photo archivist and video archivist to agree on standards, to improve metadata on databases and to implement taxonomy for digital assets.
- Support integration and testing of Smartlogic Semaphore Ontology tool with Web CMS and search engine.
- Participate in training.
- Coordinate with Web producers and editors.
- Coordinate with appropriate partners to support metadata schema for Digital Asset Management (DAM) System for video, audio, photography, publications, branding, design, and document assets.
- Coordinate daily support, maintenance and regular updates for controlled vocabularies, including taxonomy and search dictionaries, and dependent search features like navigators, with DOC/IBIS Web developer for Web CMS and ITSSD/KMS programmer for enterprise search platform.
- Collaborate with DPP/Knowledge Management Section and other interdivisional partners as requested on taxonomy-related issues and the SmartLogic taxonomy tool.
- Report regularly on search logs, including search terms and usage trends.
- Provide support for rolling out search upgrades/features to language sites and field office sites.
- Coordinate testing on search upgrades, including usability testing and relevance testing.
- Assemble related links for web stories and integrate with web page production workflow.
- Work on UNICEF premises.
- May be asked to work weekends and holidays, as required.
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/ experience required:
- Preferred: Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, information management or related field; knowledge of information science principles and practices; although hands-on practical experience in any of these will be valued.
- Practical experience with search engines and developing/managing taxonomies for large organizations or large quantities of information.
- Experience in search engine optimization (SEO) is desirable.
- Experience with metadata schema and classification schema.
- Experience with content management systems
- Experience with taxonomy management tools is desirable.
- Editorial experience, including audio, video or image content, is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency or working knowledge of other languages than English is desirable.
How to apply
Please submit all resumes to email@example.com