Manages one or more aspects of the University’s Library technology and systems.
– Analyzes, specifies, and implements systems improvements and processes
– Conducts design and setup activities supporting University-wide Library systems and databases; assists in implementing upgrades and new systems
– Develops and manages procedures related to quality assurance for University Library systems; revises and maintains complex configuration tables
– Monitors Library applications and databases
– Creates, prepares, and analyzes reports on systems activities
– Works collaboratively with the Office of Library Services, Computer Information Services, library staffs, and vendors to refine workflows and develop useful systems tools
– Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: University Library Systems Manager
Higher Education Associate
The Office of Library Services (OLS) supports the libraries at CUNY’s 19 campuses and works with campus librarians to coordinate and enhance library services to faculty and students. The Office has two University Systems Librarian positions available reporting to the University Dean for Libraries and Information Resources. Both positions will provide critical specialized support to the integrated CUNY-wide library information infrastructure, systems and services supporting curricula.
Web & Mobile Speciality: This position focuses on developing, planning, implementing, and managing new web and mobile-based library services and products; integrating library systems and other CUNY and local campus services; integrating cloud services and other systems/services outside of Aleph such as link resolvers, federated search, interlibrary loan, Drupal-based campus support site, and performing ad-hoc scripting, and report writing.
Aleph 500 System Speciality: This position focuses on managing the University’s primary library software system, Aleph 500 by Ex Libris; working with the Office of Library Services team and staff members from campus libraries to plan and perform system configuration changes and related technical administration tasks; managing release, version upgrades, and system patches, and testing, documenting and implementing software and table configuration changes.
Other key responsibilities for both positions include, but will not be limited to the following:
– Manages CUNY library systems that support automated functions such as the acquisition, cataloging and circulation of library materials.
– Manages the batch processes for loading various records into the library database as a part of maintaining CUNY’s integrated library system.
– Participates in implementing new systems and upgrading existing ones.
– Participates in developing and implementing library discovery and reporting tools enabling effective searching, retrieval, and delivery of local and remote resources.
– Coordinates the inter-campus library processes, troubleshoots library system problems, and acts as a resource for campus librarians.
– Manages and trains staff as assigned.
– ALA Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science is strongly preferred and may be accepted for up to two years of the required six years of experience
– Experience with library systems, library desktop applications, circulation, serials, cataloging and acquisitions workflow, as well as integrated library systems and bibliographic utilities (OCLC)
– Proficiency using software programs/products associated with library functions, including experience maintaining and supporting library automated systems and resources (ie. Aleph, Metalib, SFX, EZProxy, ILLiad, etc.)
– Strong analytical and technical problem-solving skills for complex applications
– Knowledge of computer programming and Web and mobile-based resources and services
– Familiarity with Oracle, Sun Solaris operating system, SQL, and knowledge of the MARC format for bibliographic and authority records
– Ability to master new technologies and remain current on traditional and electronic library service trends
– Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse community of learners, students, faculty and staff in a large centralized public university system
– Strong detail orientation, customer focus, excellent writing and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities/deadlines
– Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of technology computer skills, as well as to make technology understandable to the University community
Upload a cover letter* and résumé as ONE DOCUMENT in the RESUME FIELD.
*In your cover letter, specifically indicate the library specialty for which you are applying, and describe your work experience as directly related to that specialty, as well as the essential general and campus specific duties of this position.