The Museum Library’s Special Collections is seeking an intern/volunteer to catalog image records and input metadata into an Omeka database http://omeka.org/ for its Photographic Collections. The pilot of this on-going project is Picturing the Museum: Education and Exhibition at the Museum of Natural History which is online at: http://images.library.amnh.org/photos/index.html
Position description and duties:
- Works under the general direction of the Visual Resources Librarian.
- Responsibilities include but are not limited to cataloging and editing records for the image database.
- Posts will be assigned in the summer of 2012 to begin in the fall.
- Undergraduate degree; enrolled in an MLS program with some library experience and/or graduate-level library classes, preferably to include digital imaging or digital libraries, and cataloging.
- Familiarity with authority work.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, responsible, reliable, detail-oriented.
- Ability to work flexibly and independently.
- A commitment to the project for the fall semester, for at least 8 hours per week.
- Must be able to work at least part of the time on Fridays and attend training sessions.
Interested students should send a letter of interest indicating if volunteer work or a formal internship for credit is sought, a list of MLS courses taken thus far, and a resume to Stacy Schiff at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Deadline to apply: April 30th.
Interviews will be held on Friday May 4th and Friday May 11th.