Transportation Alternatives is New York City’s leading transportation advocacy organization, with a citywide network of tens of thousands of supporters committed to better bicycling, walking and public transit in the five boroughs.
Transportation Alternative seeks an organized, self-starter to assist our communications team as an independent contractor.
Summary of Position:
The Photo Library Cataloger / Archivist will develop a catalogue system for our extensive digital photo library. We are converting a 352 gigabyte library of 158,000 images, currently without any comprehensive system of organization, from our fileserver to PhotoShelter, an online storage and organization system for digital images. The Photo Library Cataloger / Archivist will work independently with the assistance of T.A.’s Communications, IT and Design staff, but may consult with all advocacy staff to better understand how our image library serves the organization.
The Photo Library Cataloger / Archivist will be responsible for assessing T.A.’s image content, developing a system of organization and implementing their system in PhotoShelter. The system developed will be used directly by T.A.’s 25+ staff members and indirectly by our network of 40,000 subscribers.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
– Develop and implement system of organization for T.A.?s photo archive, include a vocabulary of tags and search terms
– Coordinate with Communication and Design team to maximize usability and effectiveness of organization system
– Proven experience developing independent systems of organization, and experience working with tagging and online organization.
– Ability to work independently and excellent attention to detail are a must.
– Experience with PhotoShelter is preferred, but not required.
– Master of Library Science candidates, Student Archivists and Photo Archivists are encouraged to apply.
– A sense of humor.
This is an paid independent contractor position.
Send a cover letter and resume to:
Publications Manager, Transportation Alternatives
E-mail: job_applications [at] transalt [dot] org
127 West 26th St. #1002
New York, NY 10001
Hint: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Phone calls and walk-ins are not accepted.