Interns will gain valuable experience cataloging a library established in the 19th century. The majority of the collection is from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Mohonk Preserve is one of America’s largest and most historic private, non-profit nature preserves. For nearly 50 years the Mohonk Preserve has been protecting over 7,000 acres of the Northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, New York. The Mohonk Preserve’s Daniel Smiley Research Center, located on the grounds of the Mohonk Mountain House holds over 7,000 volumes in its natural history special collections library.
- Course work in original and copy cataloging required. Experience in original and copy cataloging preferred.
- Proficiency using computers, internet, and MS Office Suite required.
- Comfortable learning and using new technology.
- Familiarity with Koha and PastPerfect cataloging software a plus.
- Working both as a team and independently, the ability to take direction, and willingness to ask questions is important.
- Strict adherence to collection management policies required.
- Background checks will be required of top applicants.
- Create bibliographic entries for natural history special collections library using Koha (web-based integrated library system) and PastPerfect (collection management software).
- Assess materials for future conservation needs, and prioritize for digitization.
Duration: 4 weeks during winter break (mid-Dec. – mid-Jan., excluding holidays), 25 hours/week
Stipend: Unpaid. Free housing, and access to world renowned National Historic Landmark resort and nature preserve
Who may apply: Library/information science graduate students. Interns who excel may be invited to return a second year.
How to apply: Send a copy of your resume, a cover letter which clearly states your reasons for pursuing this internship and what you hope to gain as part of your career goals, your transcript, and two letters of recommendation to:
Conservation Biologist/Collections Manager, Mohonk Preserve Daniel Smiley Research Center, 1000 Mountain Rest Rd., New Paltz, NY 12561
Deadline for application: Nov. 15, 2012 Mohonk Preserve, PO Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561 http://www.mohonkpreserve.org/