The Brooklyn Academy of Music’s Summer Internship Program runs from June 2013 until August 2013 (timing may vary by department)
Internship Program Itinerary:
• BAM Orientation & Theater Tour – Get to know BAM in-depth.
• Trips to local Cultural Institutions – Behind the scene tour of some of the most recognized arts institutions in the city.
• Learn the fundamentals of working @ NYC Cultural Institutions
• Work & learn with experienced Arts Administration professionals – Learn the ins and outs from some of the best in the field.
• Executive Brown Bag lunches – Have lunch with BAM’s Executive Team and glimpse the future of the organization from their perspective.
• Follow the Production – This program tracks the mounting of a presentation at BAM – from artistic selection and budgeting, to load-in and travel visas.
• See BAM performances & films – Gain access to see some of the most coveted shows in town!
• Career counseling and Mentoring
Criteria for Participation:
To participate in the internship opportunities at BAM, graduate students must be currently enrolled or accepted into a graduate program and undergraduate students must be enrolled in college or university.
Most internships are paid, however, some are also available for college credit.
*DanceMotion USA Intern:
- Provides logistical support for the DanceMotion USAsm program at BAM.
- Assist in all activities of the project and gain insight into running international touring programs, working with the State Department and US Embassies abroad, and managing cultural diplomacy
- Must be fluent in the use of social media platforms including Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including Excel, Word, Photoshop – experience with video a plus
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving and prioritizing
- Working knowledge of dance performance, technical theater and international relations preferred
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or graduate degree or recent graduate
- Hours per week: 30-40
- BAM Archives is looking to hire an intern for Summer 2013.
- The work includes cataloging and digitization on a multi-year grant-funded project.
- The candidate should be able to make a firm 20 hour a week commitment throughout the semester.
- BAM programming subject knowledge and/or familiarity with Collective Access cataloging a plus.
- Self-directed, detail-oriented students encouraged to apply.
*Information Technology Intern:
- Assist the IT department in supporting its hardware, software, and end user environment as directed by the IT staff including phone support, network cabling, equipment deployment and basic training of end users
- Reconcile the IT inventory records, update the asset tracking system and assist with hardware disposal
- Perform general office support including copying, faxing, and filing
- Special Requirements: Ability to live up to 40 lbs, knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and pursuing a degree in a IT or a related field (preferred but not required)
- Hours per week: 30 – 40
*General Management Intern:
- Summary: Gain an overview of running a large cultural institution.
- Help with the day to day operations in a fast-paced, busy environment. Intern will be involved with various programs. Tasks may include sending and chasing contracts, collecting information for house programs, doing purchase orders, reconciliations, filing, generating sales reports, data entry, serving as a production assistant, assisting with ticketing, as well as general administrative tasks.
- Special requirements: arts administration grad student preferred.
- Past experience working for an arts institution is preferable.
- Hours per week: 30-40
- The fundamentals of fundraising for a cultural institution, from research to developing funding correspondence, proposals & reports.
- Requirements: Excellent writing skills; ability to multi-task.
- Hours per week: 20
*Development/ Individual Giving Intern:
- Provide assistance on direct mail, on-site, web-based, phone and Major Gift campaigns, including research, renewal, acquisition, acknowledgement, and benefit fulfillment
- Assist in managing BAM’s young donor programs, including outreach through social media
- Prepare and execute personalized, large-scale correspondence with donor base
- Participate and administer membership-level cultivation events and stewarding opportunities
- Act as customer service representative for donor inquiries and issues
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of the fundraising database
- Perform research to maximize the efficacy of fundraising efforts
- Provide general office administrative support for both Membership and Major Gifts.
- Hours per week: 20—30
- Experience with MSWord & Excel
- Experience with Tessitura or Database applications
- Excellent verbal, written & organizational skills
- Reliable and self-motivated
- Interest in working in the Arts
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or graduate degree, recent graduate’s are eligible to apply
Full-Time/Part-TimeTemporary SalaryRemuneration: Internships run 12 to 40 hours per week and pay $8.75/ per hour for undergrads and $9.75/per hour for grad students. *May also be available for college credit. Application DeadlineInterns are hired on a rolling basis, check back often for availability. Application ProcedureNo calls please. Must complete an online application at http://brooklynacademy.appone.com LocationBrooklyn Academy of Music, Fort Greene About the Organization
BAM’s mission is to be the home for adventurous artists, audiences and ideas.
At BAM, we believe in…
Artistic Integrity… We support innovative, high quality, rigorous art that tests new ground.
Professional Integrity… As a world-class cultural center, we balance creativity with responsibility. We maintain high professional standards and strive for excellence on stage and off.
Accessibility… We share art and ideas with audiences near and far through performances, education, and new media.
Diversity… We welcome, encourage, and celebrate different arts, ideas, and audiences.
Innovation… We inspire our audiences and our staff. Our work is challenging, demanding and dynamic. We attract and develop achievers who are committed to the arts. We work in teams and challenge ourselves to innovate in all areas.
CLICK TO LEARN MORE
Working at BAM
A career at BAM puts you on a demanding yet rewarding path
BAM provides a wide-range of benefit options: