Under the guidance of the principal investigators, the Data Visualization Assistant creates temporal and spatial representations of visual data collected in the PSC-CUNY Research Award-funded Undergraduate Study Habits Ethnography Project (https://ushep.commons.gc.cuny.edu). During this project students sketched maps of their daily routes, took photographs of items related to their academic lives, and drew their own research processes. We wish to leverage the visual data created by our student participants through further analysis, and display the results on an online companion website.
The research assistant:
• is able to follow oral and written instructions;
• is self motivated, organized and detail-oriented;
• is able meet deadlines and make progress without direct supervision;
• is able to handle and protect confidential data;
• has strong spoken and written communications skills;
• is proficient in office productivity software and general internet applications;
• is capable of learning to use new software;
• has completed basic training in the protection of human subjects (available at: http://www.cuny.edu/research/compliance/training-education/citi-training.html)
• Experience with software that creates data visualizations including timelines, maps, or presentations (e.g. Timeline JS, Google Maps, Prezi, et al.)
• Significant graduate coursework in the social sciences, especially anthropology, sociology, library and information sciences, or instructional technology.
• Scan and archive visual data, organized according to parameters specified in collaboration with the principal investigators
• Using online applications and software, create visualizations including timelines, maps, and presentations from image and textual data
• Produce online written, tabular and/or visual materials based on project data
• Wages: $30/hour
• 10-20 hours per week (for a total of approximately 180 hours)
• On site at New York City College of Technology or Brooklyn College, with some off-site work possible
• Work to be performed July 1-September 15, 2013
To apply for the position, please send a cover letter and curriculum vitae to Prof. Maura Smale (email@example.com) and Prof. Mariana Regalado (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin on June 10, 2013.