The Office of Library Services at the New York City Department of Education is seeking three (3) part-time (average 25 hours per week) consultants to work as part of MyLibraryNYC (a partnership with Brooklyn Public Library, New York Public Library, and Queens Library) providing outreach and support services to participating schools.
The successful candidate for this position will perform professional development and program support for librarians, faculty, and students in MyLibraryNYC schools. He/she will collaborate with colleagues to identify the needs of each school and develop programs and services accordingly. This position requires professional knowledge and judgment, including, but not limited to, reference services utilizing materials both in print and electronic resources, collection development and weeding, and individual/group programming. The successful candidate will also possess strong ability in and comfort with presentations, outreach, and training.
This position will report to the Director of Library Services and other assigned supervisors. This is a seven (7) month funded position that will end on June 30, 2014 with possibility of extension with additional funding. This is a non-City/DOE position and current DOE employees (including F-Status) are not eligible to apply unless they choose to forego their employment with the City of New York.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensures that all students and faculty in schools have new Student Cards/Educator Cards
- Visits assigned schools to support faculty, students and parents in use of library resources
- Assists in data collection and in creating promotional & training materials for project
- Serves as a resource and problem solver for project-related questions from schools
- Collaborates with Library System Outreach Coordinators
Skills & Qualifications:
- Certified Teacher – Certified NYS LMS or working towards NYS LMS certification preferred
- MLIS or MLS or working towards one of these two degrees preferred
- Experience in using the NOVELny Databases (Grolier Online, Gale, and ProQuest)
- Experience in Follett Destiny preferred
- 2 or more years of experience working in a school setting as a classroom teacher, librarian or administrator
- 2 or more years of experience in designing and providing face-to-face and online professional development for teachers
- Strong teamwork & teambuilding skills; respectful of team members’ input
- Candidates must be flexible, able to handle multiple competing priorities and tasks
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- 2 or more years of experience of electronic resources including the Internet and Microsoft Office preferred
- Excellent communication and customer service; Strong presentation and programming skills
- Ability to travel to MyLibraryNYC schools and public library branches and to work some evenings and weekends.
$25.00 per hour
Please send all cover letters & resumes via email to: email@example.com