Rosenthal Library, Queens College (City University of New York), Flushing, NY 11367 invites applications for a service-oriented, creative, flexible, and collaborative part-time adjunct REFERENCE LIBRARIAN to assume duties immediately for the Spring 2014 semester, with the possibility of continuing in subsequent semesters.
Current schedule / duties include one full Wednesday from 1:00 to 9:00 pm and Fridays 11:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M., but hours are subject to change, including some evening and/or weekend hours.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide pro-active and in-depth reference service, in-person, through e-reference, and by telephone.
- Participate in Virtual Reference work through our “Ask a Librarian” system.
- Skillfully search online databases in all disciplines, and web-based resources.
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of Research to provide and market research tools and other information services.
- Provide research support to students, faculty and community users.
Other responsibilities include:
- Research consultations, classroom, web-based and customized instruction.
- Ability to recognize and respond to students from culturally diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to make students active partners in the teaching/learning process;
- Assist students in developing information literacy skills;
- Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA accredited institution
- One to two years recent post-MLS experience in reference, preferably in academic library
- Proven experience with traditional library resources, online library resources, the Internet, and Microsoft Office and Windows applications;
- Second master’s degree in any discipline
- Experience with emerging technologies in an instructional environment
- Knowledge of metadata standards and experience using OCLC and ExLibris Aleph 500
- Experience with virtual reference services, particularly Ask a Librarian
Interested candidates shall apply and submit the current resume, a copy of cover letter, and names, email address, and phone numbers of three professional references BY EMAIL to:
Subash Gandhi, Associate Professor & Coordinator of Research Services, Rosenthal Library, Queens College, 65-30 Kissena Boulevard Flushing, NY 11365 or Subash.Gandhi@qc.cuny.edu
Screening and hiring process starts immediately and continues until the position is filled. However, applications received by February 4 will be given first consideration.
Queens College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression, as well as sexual orientation.