Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fourteen degrees – eight bachelor’s degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master’s degrees, and more programs are currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor’s future and its policy role.
Reporting to the Director of The Murphy Institute, the Administrative Executive Assistant will:
– Coordinate a broad range of day-to-day activities and administrative tasks for the Director.
– Manage Director’s calendar, communications, meeting schedules and distribution of information.
– Implement processes to improve and streamline office administrative operations.
– Assist with arrangements of special events, Board meetings, conferences, public programming.
– Take meeting notes and prepare summaries for distribution.
– Review outgoing documents for completeness and accuracy.
Provides support to a Campus or University Executive, organizing and supervising unit activities.
– Creates appointment and meeting schedules, arranges meetings, and prepares for a variety of special events. Maintains an ongoing calendar of reports, deadlines, and key dates and incorporates these into a schedule.
– Coordinates Executive communications, including those requiring a high degree of sensitivity. May respond to public inquiries as well as requests from within the Campus/University community.
– Organizes, creates, and distributes key, complex management reports with a high degree of accuracy.
– Organizes, manages, and tracks written and email correspondence, maintaining logs and records of follow-up activities.
– Procures required internal and external resources and services and manages their utilization.
– May supervise office staff, performing basic Human Resources functions such as recruiting and interviewing.
– May perform related duties as assigned; may participate in special projects and efforts to improve unit effectiveness.
Bachelor’s Degree and four years’ relevant experience required.
– Three years’ related experience in higher education setting highly desirable (as part of required four years’ experience)
– Proven ability to draft and edit complex work related correspondence, e.g., email, minutes, summaries, documents, and presentations preferred
– Proven proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite for supporting office operations such as word processing, creation of spreadsheets, presentations, publications, mailings, and web research
– Experience supporting a complex calendar preferred
– Ability to organize and manage records and archival systems preferred – Ability to organize, prioritize, and coordinate day-to-day projects and assignments
– Ability to work independently and as part of a team
– Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations, providing accurate and appropriate information
– Ability to articulate policies and procedures in response to inquiries
– Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines; follow-up as needed and complete assignments in a timely manner
– Excellent organizational abilities, exceptional attention to detail and follow-through; comfort and facility with juggling multiple responsibilities and tasks
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below: