Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fourteen degrees – eight bachelor’s degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master’s degrees, and more programs are currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor’s future and its policy role.
Reporting to the Director of the Murphy Institute or his/her designee, the Academic Program Manager/Workforce Development Programs will: – Manage all administrative aspects of the Institute’s Workforce Development program, including those within the School of Professional Studies and those in collaboration with other units of the University. – Collaborate with the faculty and oversee programs to ensure adherence to academic policies and procedures. – Design, implement, and oversee comprehensive academic program development plan. – Consult with faculty and Institute leadership on curricular and other academic matters. – Oversee outreach, recruitment, admissions, scheduling, registration, and graduation reviews for the Institute’s Workforce Development Initiatives. – Supervise Workforce Development team, including full-time and part-time support and clerical staff. – Prepare analytical and statistical reports and assist in outcome assessment. – Assist the Director and Associate
Director with strategic planning to expand programs.
Manages curriculum development and operations of a College’s specialized academic program under the direction of a senior administrator.
– Implements and monitors a comprehensive academic program development plan; makes recommendations to improve department policies and procedures
– Assists Director with outcome assessment and strategic planning to further develop program offerings
– Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management
– Serves as resource expert regarding program policies and procedures
– May manage professional and/or clerical staff
– May act on behalf of Director in his/her absence
– Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and six years’ relevant experience required.
– Advanced degree in a related field
– Experience with unions and workforce development highly desirable
– Experience with academic program development, research, and program evaluation highly desirable
– Proven track record in successful grant and proposal writing
– Knowledge of policies and best practices in higher education
– Experience working with faculty in program development
– Superior writing and communication skills
– Demonstrated ability to work effectively with external partners
– Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively and to carry out complex assignments
– Competence in a range of computer applications (e.g. internet research, MS Office)
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below: