Start Date: May 2015
End Date: August 2015
Schedule: Minimum commitment of 104 hours, between Monday and Friday, 9AM – 5PM
Under the guidance of the WCS Processing Archivist, the Archives Processing Intern will gain experience in various components of archival processing and description. While WCS Archives internships are unpaid, we are happy to work with academic institutions so that students can get academic credit for their internship. Interns should be able to commit at least 104 hours to the internship and must schedule their hours Monday through Friday, 9-5.
Experience to be gained includes but is not limited to:
- survey, arrange, and describe an archival collection
- enter data into an archival management systeM
- create an EAD finding aid and MARC record
- document work with one or more posts for Wild Things, the WCS Archives Blog
- enrollment in or recent completion of a graduate program (within the last 6 months) in library science, museum studies, or a related field
- familiarity with archival theory and descriptive standards ~ previous experience arranging and describing archival collections strongly preferred
Location: Bronx Zoo. Interested individuals should submit a resume and a statement of interest describing what you hope to bring to the internship and gain from the experience. Please email your cover letter and resume to: Opportunities@wcs.org; specify “Archives Processing Intern, Summer 2015” in the subject of your email.