The Preservation Technician will perform fully supervised preservation transfers of archival audiovisual content for an ongoing project. This position will also be responsible for inventory, preparation, and treatment of said collection, support of restoration efforts, management of collection metadata, and creation of specified derivatives. This position will work primarily with audio formats (such as ¼” audio reels, audio cassettes, and DAT tapes).
• Inventory and preparation of archival audiovisual recordings
• Audiotape and videotape digitization to preservation standard specifications
• Fulfill descriptive, technical and preservation metadata requirements
• Generate restoration masters of digitized audio recordings as needed
• Audiovisual processing to create access files, logs, checksums
• Maintaining comprehensive and detailed transfer logs
• Quality control
• Knowledge of current archival best practices in relation to audiovisual preservation
• Experience working with and/or maintaining legacy audiovisual technology
• Understanding of signal flow
• Familiarity with analog audiovisual workflows
• Excellent written and communication skills
• Ability to work independently
• Knowledge of audiovisual digitization, audio quality control
• Extensive interest in audiovisual technology and preservation
• Ability to lift 40lbs.
32 hours/week at a $32 / hour. This is a temporary position for a one-year appointment.
To apply, please visit https://rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=VU-1708-001974 and click ‘Apply’.