Borough of Manhattan Community College of the City University of New York is seeking an energetic individual with leadership and management experience to serve as Instructional Designer -Data Manager. The Instructional Designer-Data Manager is responsible for assisting and coordinating the implementation of technology-based solutions in support of the college’s instructional program. The position reports directly to the Director of E-Learning and will assist in the day-to-day operations of the department. Also, the successful candidate will work directly with faculty to help integrate new technologies and online learning methodologies for the improvement of learning outcomes across the curriculum. The position requires knowledge of academic software applications and alternative methods of instruction and assessment in education, including face-to-face and online teaching strategies.
Additionally, the Instructional Designer – Data Manager’s will work with the Assistant Director and the Director of E-learning to compile, organize, and translate large volumes of data into concise and precise reports that inform decisions on a wide range of recruitment, enrollment, engagement, and retention strategies.
- Works with approximately 500 faculty at BMCC to develop and implement technology-mediated instruction and at least 130 faculty teaching online and hybrid courses.
- Assists in the management of instructional technologists to investigate, develop, implement and support technological solutions to improve student learning outcomes to meet the college’s goal of doubling the number of online and hybrid courses offerings.
- Acts as an advisor to instructional and student services staff in the implementation of support applications to facilitate student learning.
- Advises E-Learning Director, administrators, faculty, staff, and students on technology selection and procurement as needed.
- Assists the Director in the development and implementation of strategic planning initiatives for a comprehensive E-Learning program, including instructional technology infrastructure and its integration and assessment.
- Work with the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment in the design and implementation of appropriate assessment instruments and studies to evaluate the effectiveness of instruction delivered by the E-Learning Center.
- Coordinates and delivers instructional technology and pedagogy workshops to assist faculty in the design and development of E-Learning courses.
- Works with other campus support services, College Computer Center, Instructional Technology, and Media Center to meet E-Learning faculty technology needs.
- Manages the E-Learning schedule of classes and works closely with the Registrar’s Office in addressing student inquiries and registration problems.
- Maintains an awareness of current and future trends in the field, and provides direction and support to appropriate college staff for their development.
- Organizes, attends, and participates in professional development workshops and events related to academic technology at BMCC and throughout the CUNY system.
- Collaborates with the registrar, dept. schedulers, research dept., and others on campus to ensure consistency and accuracy of data.
- Runs queries and extracting data and files from internal and external sources on a routine basis.
- Creates regular reports and dashboards to track trends; preparing visual charts, graphs, and presentations for summary statistics.
- Supports the development of recruitment, engagement, and retention plans through the use of data.
- May manage team members dealing with instructional design or data management.
- Works scheduled hours in the evenings and on weekends.
Bachelor’s Degree and six years’ relevant experience required.
- A combination of six years of experience in an academic environment, consisting of experience as a faculty member and/or administrator/manager, and technology implementation in an educational environment.
- At least four years prior experience designing and training faculty to teach online or hybrid courses required.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills with diverse constituencies and be detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- One year or more analyzing data, interpreting data and creating data analysis reports.
- Experience with Excel and databases at the intermediate or advanced level.
- Demonstrated interest in technology and data analytics.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems, preferably Blackboard.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Collaborates with faculty and other educators to help integrate technology into teaching and learning activities.
- Evaluates faculty requirements for training and development on instructional technologies, and prepares appropriate learning programs, seminars, and materials
- Consults with individual faculty to enhance their use of technology for teaching and learning
- Keeps the College community abreast of developments in instructional technology
- Recommends improvements to College and University-wide instructional systems using a variety of technologies
- Serves as project manager and designer for the evaluation and implementation of new instructional technologies
- May manage a staff of technology professionals
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: IT Academic Applications Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst Portal
April 16, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Job Title: Instructional Designer – Data Manager, E-Learning
Job ID: 18503
Location: Borough of Manhattan CC
Full/Part Time: Full-Time