Job Description:PVN #: N019
Closing Date: Open until filled
Department: CUNY School of Professional Studies
Location: Temporarily Remote
The CUNY School of Professional Studies:
For over 15 years, the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) has been leading online education in New York. Notable for offering the most online bachelor’s and master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and for serving transfer students as the University system’s only undergraduate all-transfer college, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change careers.
The School’s growth has been remarkable, with twenty-four degrees launched since 2006. Enrollment has risen by more than 30% in the last four years to over 4,000 students in the credit-bearing programs. Thousands more are enrolled in non-degree and grant-funded workplace learning programs. In addition, the School has an active alumni network and has established the CUNY SPS Foundation, which offers multiple scholarship opportunities to current students.
CUNY SPS has consistently been named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top online institutions. This year, the School was ranked in the top 2% in the nation on the publisher’s list of the 2021 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
Reporting to the Events Manager, the Events Technical Associate will be responsible for the documentation, staffing, and execution of each assigned event. This includes interfacing with specific staff members to confirm event flow, creating runs of show, updating chat messages, handling presenter sound check, interfacing with IT support staff, attending the event and assisting on audience support (admission, chat, Q&A, etc.), saving StreamText captions, and hosting short debriefs with IT following the event to note areas of improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties include:
• Assist in coordinating the execution of special events at the CUNY School of Professional Studies, such as guest speakers, lectures, panel discussions, Commencement activities, and academic celebrations.
• Act as liaison with internal clients and stakeholders during rehearsals and events
• Create specific event documentation to share with stakeholders and staff prior to and following event, including runs of show, chat messages, event reports, notes on media to be shared, etc.
• Ensure that captions are implemented at each event (these could be live captions [via Zoom and/or StreamText] or auto captions) and save full transcript for use in captioning video post event
• Staff the assigned events to ensure events begin/end on time, and that all tasks are taken care of
• Take note of all resources mentioned during an event, posting links in the chat as needed, and providing a list to the Events Manager for follow up communication with the audience
• Host a short debrief with IT staff following each event to cover what worked well, what needs improvement, and implement those for following events
• Participate in occasional planning/brainstorming meetings with staff to discuss ideas and implementation for large scale events
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required
• At least 3 years prior experience directly managing events
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent judgment, diplomacy, discretion, attention to detail, strong work ethic
• Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment.
• Demonstrates creative, proactive, hospitality-centered thinking
• Position requires the candidate be highly organized and communicate information quickly and clearly
• Ability to network and build strong relationships with a wide variety of personality types
• Ability to set priorities and work efficiently under pressure with accuracy
• Proficiency with Zoom; experience in Swoogo
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Able to provide portfolio of work showcasing events managed
• Occasional night and weekend hours and local off-site work required
Note: While the Events Technical Associate/Non-Teaching Adjunct positon is currently remote, the selected finalist is expected to have access to a laptop/computer, internet and phone access to perform most job duties and responsibilities. Upon return to normal campus operations, this position will transition to our physical office located at 119 W 31st Street, New York, NY 10001.
Salary Range: $44.69 – $48.36 per hour (hourly rate based on CUNY’s Non-Teaching Adjunct salary scale, commensurate with experience and qualifications)
Hours: Part-time (approximately 15 hours per week with flexibility leading up to an event date). Occasional night and weekend hour may be required.
Please send resume, cover letter and contact information of three (3) professional references to:
CUNY SPS Events Technical Associate/Non-Teaching Adjunct Search
Heather Zeman, Events Manager
CUNY SPS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer:
The CUNY School of Professional Studies complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.
All prospective candidates must be able to be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies verifies education and experience statements.