As New York’s leading online school since 2006, the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) offers the most online bachelor’s and master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and serves as the University’s first undergraduate all-transfer college. With 26 degrees and numerous other non-degree and grant-funded workplace learning programs, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change careers. Consistently ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report for its online offerings, CUNY SPS has emerged as a nationwide leader in online education. The school’s renowned and affordable online programs ensure that busy working adults may fulfill their educational goals on their own time and schedule.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies is seeking a highly motivated, self-starter to assist students in the Online Baccalaureate program with their tutoring needs. The program will deliver tutoring by participating in a national online training consortium that shares tutoring resources among its members.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Academic Director of Online Business Programs, the Academic Skills Advisor/College Assistant will:
• Support students in quantitative and qualitative research as well as information literacy, across the curriculum. Specific topics include the following:
o Formulating research questions
o Designing strategies
o Developing and validating concepts
o Finding, evaluating and citing information sources
o Data collection, analysis and interpretation
o Statistical analysis
• Provide tutoring for a wide range of math-related undergraduate work including, but not limited to, statistics at various levels, accounting, economics, algebra, and geometry.
• Guide students through the process of reporting findings. Most research culminates in written reports and possibly oral presentations (online).
• Conduct tutoring online, synchronously and asynchronously.
• Other duties as assigned
• High school diploma/GED
• Undergraduate degree
• Experience teaching online
• Strong customer service orientation, patience, and personable nature; enthusiasm for working with students, particularly in a virtual environment is critical
• Excellent online communication skills and the ability to respond to student enquiries promptly
• Ability to follow up and assess student understanding
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications and web-enabled communication
• Specialization in business math, specifically accounting and finance
Salary: $20.00 per hour
Hours: Approximately 15 hours per week (some evenings and weekend hours)
Please send resume, cover letter and contact information of three (3) professional references to:
Academic Skills Advisor/College Assistant Search
Dr. Tara Barca, Academic Director of Online Business Programs
CUNY SPS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer:
The CUNY School of Professional Studies complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.
Selected applicants must pay fingerprint and filing fees (full-time CUNY students are excluded from fingerprint fee).
All prospective candidates must be able to be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
The CUNY School of Professional Studies verifies education and experience statements.